Saturday, April 23, 2011

Get Off Your Couch Workout

The other day I was sitting around and thinking about working out.  Just thinking.  After a short period of time being lazy (yes we are all allowed this) I realized that unless I get off the couch it's not going to happen.  Therefore, I got off the couch and hit the workout.  As I was planning my workout I realized that I seem to do the best workouts on the fly.  Let me explain.  For years I have always put together a workout regimen like; weights on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  Cardio on Tuesday and Thursday.  Golf on Saturday and Rest on Sunday.   However, after I began thinking about it, prior to my workout, I noticed that my best workouts have been the ones that I JUST DID.  Therefore, I call it the Get Off Your Couch Workout.

It's pretty simple, just get off your couch and do SOMETHING!  Go for a walk, Powerlift, Elliptical, Treadmill, etc....   The key to the workout is build up a sweat at a good healthy heart rate for fat burning and before you know it your done.   It will be more fun then sticking to a sheet of paper with exercises printed on them.  My workout the other day was a push-up, pull-up and dumbell workout with elliptical at the end and it was the BOMB! 

Here is an example:
Proper warmup (ALWAYS)

Three sets of each exercise listed below but with Chest->Back->Bicep->Tricep for the three sets for each body part and then 2 sets of full body workout with Power Clean then elliptical to burn some fat and cool down.

Push-ups with feet on a physioball  (arms at a normal width, then wide width, then close to one another)
Pull-ups (wide grip, then closed grip, then underhand grip)
Bicep Curls (alternating dumbell curl, then non-alternating dumbell curl, then crouching curls)
Tricep Extensions (one arm overhead, then both arms overhead, then lying extensions)
Finally for two sets I did dumbell overhead power cleans.
Then I did elliptical for 20 minutes.

Great workout and it only took me 45 minutes with adequate rest breaks.
Don't forget the protein shake after your workouts as that helps re-energize the muscles.

Till Later, Dr. B

1 comment:

  1. I think the best way for people to stick with a workout regimen is to get the mindset that going to the gym is like going to work. You have to go to work if your not feeling good, or if it is raining out, or if your favorite television show is on. Making yourself dedicated as if it was your job can be another way to get into the workout "mode". That being said, do not allow your working out time be boring or always the same regimen, because you are the boss when you walk into the gym, and you are in control of your body image, so do stuff that you like and what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete

Weekly Recipe

Salmon Salad

DRESSING:
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 c. low-fat milk
1/4 c. snipped fresh dill
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. salt, if desired
1/8 tsp. black pepper
SALAD:
1 (15 oz.) can salmon, drained, skin discarded & flaked
1/4 c. finely chopped scallions
12 oz. med. sized macaroni shells, cooked al dente in water to which 1 tbsp. oil has been added
4 hard boiled eggs, sliced or quartered (optional)
1. In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients.

2. In a large bowl, combine the salmon, scallions and cooked shells. Add the dressing and toss the ingredients gently to combine them. Cover the salad and chill it for at least 2 hours before serving it. Before serving, garnish the salad with eggs, if desired.

P.S. Since the ingredients are rather colorless, consider garnishing the salad with parsley and/or sliced radishes. 6 servings.